Use color and design to hallmark the seasons when you create a set of mosaic-style coasters. At vMFA, look for timeless inspiration in late-second or early-third-century fl ooring that once was part of a hallway in a Roman home.
What you need:
- Construction paper or other colored paper
- Four white or neutral tiles from a hardware store (approx 4-in. Square)
- Mod Podge Glossy (glue/sealant/varnish product available at craft stores)
- Medium-size foam brush
- Pencil, scissors, ruler
- Cut one 3½-in. Square from each piece of colored paper.
- Use a ruler and pencil to draw a ½ -in. Grid onto a 4-in. Paper square.
- Stack the different colored squares and cut along the grid lines to make tiny ½-in. Squares.
- Position colored squares on a paper grid on ceramic tiles in the seasonal pattern or design of your choice. When you have settled on your design or pattern, carefully lift the grid design off and set aside.
- Paint a layer of Mod Podge onto your ceramic tile with the foam brush, and then begin to transfer your design by carefully placing each ½-in. Paper square on your tile.
- Once you have transferred your entire design, generously cover paper squares and the entire ceramic tile with Mod Podge.
- Repeat previous steps with the remaining tiles to complete your coaster set.
- Apply a second thick layer of Mod Podge over the completed tiles to seal. Let dry overnight.
- Cut four 3½-in. Square pieces of felt and glue to the back of all tiles to protect surfaces.
Take it further:
10. Older artists can ask the local hardware store for broken bits and pieces of tiles. Glue down pieces of ceramic tile to decorate seasonal coasters.
11. Apply grout in between to adhere your design