Get spring off to a creative start by crafting with materials straight out of the recycling bin. Homemade creature planters make great gifts for all those upcoming holidays.
What you need:
• Milk or juice cartons (clean and dry)
• Large metal cans (clean and dry)
• Paper grocery or lunch bag
• Markers, crayons, stickers, paints, and paint brushes
• Tape or glue
• Soil and seeds
What you do:
1. Cut open the paper bag and spread flat on table.
2. Draw two parallel lines 5 inches apart on the outside of the paper bag. Allow some extra bag space where your creature’s eyeball will pop over the edge of the planter.
3. Cut out the 5-inch strip of paper bag. Make sure to cut around the eyeball.
4. Trace the outline of the crazy creature around the top of the carton.
5. Cut along the traced carton. (Younger kids may need some help from an adult for this step.)
6. Design a crazy creature on the paper bag.
7. Attach the creature to the carton with glue or tape.
8. Fill the can with potting soil and plant your seeds.
9. Place the can in the planter.