Start with Mom’s favorite colors or her favorite magazine.She’ll love that you took the time to up-cycle paper into an original jewelry design to celebrate Mother’s Day.
What you need:
• Cardboard (template)
• Old magazines, direct-mail pieces, or any colorful paper
• Several wooden skewers
• Ruler, pencil, glue stick
• Mod Podge (available at any craft store)
• String, yarn, or elastic cord
What you do:
1. On the cardboard, measure and mark a triangle with a base that is 1 inch wide and 6 inches high.
2. Cut out the template triangle.
3. Using the cardboard template, trace 20 to 30 triangles on your paper of choice.
4. Cut out these triangles and snip off tip.
5. Position the wooden skewer along the base of a paper triangle and roll tightly around the skewer. Roll carefully to keep your bead symmetrical.
6. Glue down the tip.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until the skewer is full of paper beads.
8. Slide beads off the skewer and make more beads.
9. Brush finished beads with Mod Podge and let dry.
10. String your homemade beads on a length of yarn, elastic, or string and assemble a bracelet or necklace for your mom. Leave enough at the end to tie off.
Take it further:
Mix your homemade beads with other beads and accents for variety.