Whose birthday is it anyway? Get the kids involved in treat prep and suddenly, everyone’s having more fun. When you think about it, isn’t getting ready for the big day the best part?
What you need:
- Box cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare mix
- 1 can vanilla frosting
- Chewy square candies, like Starburst
- Food coloring
- Assorted sprinkles and birthday candles
- Quart-sized freezer storage bag
What you do:
1. Prepare batter and bake cupcakes according to directions; cool cupcakes completely.
2. Divide frosting, reserving 2 to 3 tablespoons of white.
3. Color remaining frosting with a few drop of food coloring.
4. F rost cupcakes with colored frosting.
5. Spoon reserved white frosting into freezer bag and cut a small hole in one corner.
6. Use white frosting to pipe “ribbons” on the square candies to resemble wrapped presents.
7. Place three candy presents on each cupcake.
8. Decorate with birthday sprinkles and candles.