Giant Family Expo Kicks Off Fifth Year of National Tour
In partnership with the Richmond Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau, the LEGO®KidsFest, a nationally-traveling giant LEGO expo, has announced that its 2013 tour will kick off in Richmond, Virginia February 15 – 17 at the Greater Richmond Convention Center.
Covering over three acres of space, the LEGO KidsFest brings all of the creative hands-on, minds-on fun of LEGO building and experiences together in an activity- and entertainment-packed family event for children of all ages and builders of all skills and interests.
“We are thrilled to welcome the LEGO KidsFest to the Richmond Region,” said Jack Berry, President and CEO of the Richmond Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau. “As a destination that offers a tremendous amount for families to see and do, we think that Richmond is the perfect place for LEGO KidsFest to kick off the 2013 tour. We look forward to hosting attendees from near and far and hope that they will experience all that the Richmond Region has to offer while here.”
On tour since 2009, nearly 400,000 have attended a LEGO KidsFest. Previous tour stops include Minneapolis, Boston, Austin, Cincinnati, Denver, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland, and Raleigh. Tickets for many cities have sold out with 25,000 to 30,000 visitors in attendance at each venue.
Among the many LEGO attractions, families will find:
• LEGO Model Gallery: dozens of life-sized models made entirely from LEGO bricks
• LEGO Master Builders: live demonstrations and activities from the crew who get paid to play
• Creation Nation: build your own creation to add to a custom map of the U.S.
• Race Ramps: build your own custom car, then race it down the ramp against friends and family
• LEGO Games Arena: roll the dice to play LEGO board games
• Construction Zones: creative free build, play and display areas
• LEGO DUPLO®: younger visitors can explore imagination through building
• LEGO Retail and KidsFest Marketplace: purchase LEGO and official KidsFest tour merchandise
• Brick Pile: a gigantic pile full of LEGO bricks for creative play and enjoyment
• Monochromatic Builds: bricks of a single color to foster group creativity
• Brickscapes: fantastic displays that combine lots of LEGO and DUPLO sets
• And much more, covering over 150,000+ square feet of space, depending on venue
Other stops on the 2013 tour include Louisville, Kentucky (April 5 – 7 at the Kentucky Exposition Center), Houston, Texas (May 17 – 19 at Reliant Park), Phoenix, Arizona (July 12 – 14 at the University of Phoenix Stadium), San Jose, California (August 30 – September 1 at the San Jose Convention Center), Portland, Oregon (October 12 – 14 at the Oregon Convention Center), andHartford, Connecticut (December 6 – 8 at the Connecticut Convention Center).
Tickets for all 2013 tour stops are on sale atwww.LEGOkidsfest.com and attendees can take advantage of aspecial offer through the end of the year: receive $2 of the purchase of each ticket to the LEGO KidsFest when purchasing online using discount code Richmond13. Offer expires December 31, 2012.
Based on sell-out attendance in previous markets, advance ticket purchase is strongly encouraged.
Five sessions – all identical – are available for each tour stop. For full details, visit the website atwww.LEGOKidsFest.com.
# # #
About LEGO Systems, Inc.
LEGO Systems, Inc. is the North American division of The LEGO Group, a privately-held, family-owned company based in Billund, Denmark, one of the world’s leading manufacturers of creatively educational play materials for children. The company is committed to the development of children’s creative and imaginative abilities, and its employees are guided by the motto adopted in the 1930s by founder Ole Kirk Christiansen: “Only the best is good enough.” Visit the virtual LEGO world at www.LEGO.com
LEGO, the LEGO logo, and DUPLO, are trademarks of the LEGO Group. © 2012 The LEGO Group.
The Richmond Metropolitan Convention & Visitors Bureau, the official destination marketing and tourism organization for the Richmond Region, is a private, not-for-profit organization dedicated to promoting the Region to meeting planners, tour operators and leisure travelers. RMCVB operates three Visitor Centers located at the Greater Richmond Convention Center downtown, the Richmond International Airport and Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World in Hanover County.
More than 6 million people visit the Richmond Region annually, contributing more than $1.9 billion to the local economy. Tourism generates more than 20,000 jobs in the Richmond Region. For more information, visitwww.VisitRichmondVA.com.