The Children’s Museum of Richmond (CMoR) is bringing play outside of its walls in 2023.…
It’s Arbor Day! And why is there a special day dedicated to trees?
- The net cooling effect of a young, healthy tree is equivalent to ten room-size air conditioners operating twenty hours a day.
- One large tree can provide a supply of
oxygen for two people.
- For every five percent of tree cover added to a community, stormwater runoff is reduced by approximately two percent.
- Office workers with a view of trees report significantly less stress and more satisfaction.
- Houses with mature trees or located on a tree-lined street have an average wholesale value of 10-15% higher than those that have no trees.
- The very existence of hundreds of animals and insects species depend entirely on trees. For example, the common English Oak can support hundreds of different species, including 284 species of insect and 324 taxa of lichens living directly on one tree.
This Arbor Day, Enrichmond announces an award of $20,000 from the Dominion Foundation for the development of Enrichmond’s Urban Tree Farm. The funds will enable the organization to develop an urban tree farm growing native tree species within City limits for the benefit of the citizens of Richmond.
This fully funded tree farm effort will deliver locally grown inventory for new and replacement trees in parks and public spaces, support Richmond’s Adopt-A-Tree efforts, and assist in adding value and energy savings to new homes and existing businesses throughout our City.
Be on the look-out for ways to support this important and valuable initiative in the weeks ahead.
For more information please go to www.enrichmond.org