The Science Museum is revving STEM engines this holiday season by offering The Fast and the Curious, seven days of race-themed experiences showcasing speed, power and performance. The special event coincides with the Science Museum hosting the Hot Wheels: Race to Win touring exhibition through January 23.
Educator-led activities located throughout the Science Museum include:
- Exploring mass and friction on the Bobsled Track.
- Experimenting with variables that change the speed of melting ice in Ready, Set, Melt.
- Experiencing fast-paced chemistry in Speedy Chemical Reactions.
Guests can attend three live science demos in the Barbara Thalhimer Theater each day, including:
- Force and Motion at 10:30 a.m. about how Newton’s laws of motion factor into race car engineering.
- Rat Basketball at 1:30 p.m. featuring whiskered players learning how to speed down the court to dunk.
- Simple Machines at 3:30 p.m. exploring how the six basic mechanical elements factor into the most complex racing vehicles.
Hands-on activities in The Forge and Art Lab let guests build a collaborative room-spanning race car track and decorate a fold-your-own paper racecar.
Plus, the Science Museum will display a literal hot wheel, an authentic SR-71 Blackbird jet tire. Why doesn’t it burst into flames when exposed to the heat caused by flying over three times the speed of sound? Guests will find out what makes it so special.
|The Science Museum will have the activities shined up and ready December 27 through January 2. The building is open those days 9:30 a.m. through 5 p.m.
Why: With schools closed for winter break, it’s the perfect time to visit the Science Museum. Caregivers can activate their child’s curious mind and expand their learning with familiar toys combined with exciting science experiments.
How: The Fast and the Curious activities and “Hot Wheels™: Race to Win™” are included with Science Museum admission. Members and children two and under are admitted free. The Science Museum offers discounts for military, teachers and EBT cardholders. Call 804.864.1400 for details about reserving tickets with the discount code.
Guests may purchase tickets at smv.org.