Producer Jeffrey Seller of Nederlander National Markets and Broadway In Richmond announced today that single…
The Community Thanksgiving Feast draws guests from around Richmond from every background. Now, Attendees of the annual gathering hosted by The Giving Heart at The Greater Richmond Convention Center can ride for free to and from the Feast on popular holiday-operating GRTC routes.
GRTC will provide a free ride to and from the Feast at designated bus stops, where Giving Heart volunteers will welcome guests on the bus and direct them to the Feast.
Vicki Neilson, Founding and Executive Director for The Giving Heart, says, “We are honored to partner with GRTC this year. What a wonderful way to celebrate our 10th anniversary of ‘food and fellowship’ and expand access to the Community Thanksgiving Feast to many in our Community.”
Any person wishing to attend the Feast may meet a Giving Heart volunteer to board a GRTC bus for FREE between 9AM – 10AM on Thanksgiving Day from one of the following bus stops:
* Willow Lawn (Eastbound from shelters on Willow Lawn Drive) – Route 6 will service this stop every 15-20 minutes, and will stop at the Convention Center at 5th and Broad Street.
* Broad & Robinson (Eastbound, across the street from the Science Museum of Virginia) – Routes 3 and 4 service here. Additionally, Route 6 goes by here and passengers can board the Route 6 bus. There will be a bus by this stop approximately every 15-20 minutes.
* Southside Plaza (Northbound to Plaza) – Route 60 will service this stop at approximately 9:08AM and 9:55AM.
* Main and 25th (Westbound to Plaza) – Routes 52 & 53 will service this stop approximately every 30 minutes.
* 21st and Marshall (Westbound to Plaza) – Routes 41, 43, 44, 45, 51, 56 will service this stop.
* Laburnum & Chamberlayne (Southbound to Plaza) – Route 37 will service this stop approximately every 30 minutes.
* Brookland Park & Chamberlayne (Southbound to Plaza) – Route 37 will service this stop approximately every 30 minutes.
GRTC will operate a Sunday schedule on Thanksgiving Day.
Doors open at 9:30AM for the Feast, with free Thanksgiving Dinner served from 11AM – 2:30PM. Entrance to the dining hall line is located at 5th and Marshall Streets. An ADA entrance is located on Marshall Street, between 3rd and 5th Streets.
“We are thrilled to offer free transportation in support of the Giving Heart’s Community Thanksgiving Feast. For 10 years they, and countless volunteers and sponsors, have hosted guests who might otherwise be alone during the holiday, and we’re honored to partner with them for such a wonderful cause. GRTC constantly seeks ways to give back to the community so we’re delighted to help people in our own small way celebrate and enjoy this day of thanks,” says GRTC Chief Executive Officer David Green.
The Giving Heart Community Thanksgiving Feast is a Richmond tradition since 2005, offering a free celebration of Community and welcoming all to the table for food and fellowship. Special emphasis is placed on identifying – and including – the homeless, elderly individuals, working class families, local military servicemen and those who otherwise would be alone during the Holiday.
GRTC Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Adams says, “Thanksgiving is a very important day to come together, give thanks and share a meal. Providing service to the Feast gives us a small opportunity to show our appreciation.”