Virginia Professional Communicators (VPC) celebrated the winners of the state-level 2023 communications contest at its spring conference in Fredericksburg earlier this month.
The contest recognizes outstanding work by members of the organization. Among the winners, thirty first place entries advanced to the national contest.
This year’s communications contest drew sixty-seven entries from twenty-one applicants from across the state. Many applicants had co-entrants, so the overall pool represents the work of about thirty people.
Six judges with expertise in a wide range of communication fields evaluated the competitive entries. The results include fifty-five winning entries.
Last year, RFM claimed first place in the national VPC contest for editing for print or online publications for magazine/magapaper. Official results of the national contest will be announced during an awards dinner at the NFPW conference on June 24 in Cincinnati, Ohio.
This year, according to VPC contest chair Sunni Brown, a number of Virginia entries have placed in the national contest.
“Fifteen VPC members will be honored with national awards,” says Brown.
RFM Awards from VPC in Writing, Editing, and Graphic Design
View the award winners from RFM’s creative team and contributors.
Karen Schwartzkopf, RFM Managing Editor
- First place, Writing > Columns, Personal Opinion – Editor’s Voice:
It’s a Wonderful Life: Parenting While Sober
- First place, Writing > Headlines – They’re Blood Brothers: Powering Through Sickle Cell [Jan/Feb RFM]
- First place, Editing for Print or Online Publications > Publication Regularly Edited by Entrant, Magazine/Magapaper – May/June RFM
Scott Schwartzkopf, RFM Creative Director
- First place, Graphics and Design > Page Design, Magazine or magapaper – May/June RFM
- Co-entrant: Doug Orleski (illustrator)
- Second place, Graphics and Design > Page Design, Magazine or magapaper – Jan/Feb RFM
Joan Tupponce, RFM Writer
- First place, Writing > Specialty Articles, Physical health – They’re Blood Brothers: Powering Through Sickle Cell
- First place, Writing > Specialty Articles, Arts and entertainment – How Wicked Works Its Magic
- Second place, Writing > Feature Story, Magazine, newsletter/other publication – Gym Life for All
- Second place, Writing > Personality Profile, More than 750 words – Drawing on Experience: RVA Coffee Stain
- Third place, Writing > Specialty Articles, Travel – When Wishes Come True: the Disney Cruise Line
Note: Joan Tupponce won the VPC Sweepstakes, which is awarded to the award recipient with the most first, second, and third place entries.
Melissa Face, RFM Writer
- Third place, Writing > Feature Story, Magazine, newsletter/other publication – When Healing Runs in the Family